Founded in 2015, Equiton is a recognized leader in private equity real estate investments. Our exponential growth is a direct outcome of our team understanding how the industry works and how to create long-term wealth through real estate investing.
We’ve discovered that finding the right opportunities involves time, experience, and discipline. Our strategy is always forward-looking, anticipating trends and adapting our selection to strengthen our market position, capitalizing on value creation opportunities, and building the most robust portfolio possible for our investors. We attract exceptionally talented people and create an atmosphere that rewards initiative, independent thinking, and integrity.
About the Position:
Reporting to the CFO, the Director of Finance serves as the resident expert on all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). As a private equity company, Equiton also require knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Securities and Exchange Commission (OSC) regulations. This role oversees the smooth operations of the Corporate Accounting department and collaborates closely with all other Finance areas and clients, external and internal.
Equiton has a strong growth mandate, as such, the Director of Finance will have a hand in helping to scale up the Finance team and implement new process and best practices. The successful candidate must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Ultimately responsible for delivering all Equiton corporate reporting, including:
- Balance Sheet, Income Stmt., Reconciliation, Cash Flow
- Re-forecasting – Balance Sheet, Income Stmt., Cash Flow
- Board Reporting
- Year End:
- Audits, IFRS, NTR
- Tax, T3 T5008 Investor Forms
- Payroll Filings – WSIB, EHT, T4’s
- Responsible for delivering Equiton investor reporting, including:
- Distributions & Redemptions
- QRT /Yearly:
- Reports (Internal)
- Investor Reports (public communications)
- Lead the accounting staff to ensure:
- Accurate and timely production of all financial information
- Ensure proper planning and schedules are in place and adhered to
- Provide clarity of roles and responsibilities of the Finance team members and streamline job functions within the department
- Proper analytical review of the asset operations from a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow perspective as well as an overall business perspective
- Mentor and coach the team, strong focus on team development
- Preparation of Equiton Annual Budget
- Preparation of workpapers supporting the annual IFRS and non IFRS Statements and tax returns
- Coordinate the preparation of annual tax return with outside CPA firm
- Preparation of monthly reforecast incorporating historical results and future assumptions
- Review and recordation of journal entries required to reflect the monthly activity
- Preparation of workpapers supporting the monthly close process and month end balances
- Review monthly accounting close process including analytical review of the monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained
- Perform cash projections to effectively manage cash balances and maximize the return on any excess cash balances
- Supervise the billing of asset management, incentive fees, acquisition, disposition, QPAM and other fees monthly, quarterly, annually in accordance with the respective agreements
- Supervise the accumulation of permitted reimbursements from clients through the accounts payable process and bill these reimbursements to the clients monthly
- Coordinate and record investments made in Funds, securities, overnight funds, etc.
- Supervision of all accounts payable and payments processed in corporate office, including: corporate payables, payables for Title Holding Entities, allocations of costs incurred on behalf of multiple entities
- Review of expenses incurred on behalf of multiple entities such as software (MRI) costs, accounting services, analytical services, etc.
- Assist Fund Accountant in the implementation of corporate policies and procedures such as invoice processing, cash management. Distributions and re-investment plans and calculation of fees – coordinate said reporting with third party custodians
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal controls, and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Prepare KPI’s to support marketing department and forecast to ensure proper NAV calculations and unit pricing as well provide information to support Annual and Quarterly Fund Reports
- Additional reporting as needed for Marketing, Sales, various management requirements
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong GAAP and IFRS financial reporting technical skills
- Credibility, ethical, full disclosure and clean financial history
- Confidential, understands the ethical standards of a CPA
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order
- Strong work ethic, willing and able to roll up sleeves and tackle the work alongside the team
- Able to analyze, organize, summarize and articulate complex legal and financial information
- Excellent command of the English language and ability to proofread work
- Ability to interpret agreements, then implement the relevant provisions of these agreements
- Detailed, organized, proactive and communicative
- Understanding, yet persuasive and decisive when dealing with others in the organization
- Responsive team player with ability to quickly prioritize among numerous pressing tasks
- Task and goal oriented and capable of functioning in an entrepreneurial and corporate setting
- Able to prioritize and work with multiple stakeholders, including the CFO and CEO
- Exceptional skills in the operation and functioning of all programs used by the organization, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, Novell Group Wise, PowerPoint
- MRI (Intuit real estate accounting software).
- Yardi or Constellation networks skills are an asset.
- Strong background in system implementations/improvements
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in accounting + MBA
- 10+ years’ experience in the accounting and finance sector.
- 5+ years in the Fund and/or Property Management Area
- 5+ years’ experience managing accountants and the accounting and finance process.
- 5+ years in a position equivalent to a controller or higher responsibilities
- 3+ years of experience working as a controller for a service provider such as a management services, preferably in the real estate industry
- “Big Four” or national accounting firm audit experience is preferred but not required
- Strong experience in both the private and public accounting sectors is preferred
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We are an equal opportunity employer that values a culture that reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background and experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know, so that we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted.