Founded in 2015, Equiton is a recognized leader in private equity real estate investments. Our exponential growth is a direct outcome of our team understanding how the industry works and how to create long-term wealth through real estate investing.
We’ve discovered that finding the right opportunities involves time, experience, and discipline. Our strategy is always forward-looking, anticipating trends and adapting our selection to strengthen our market position, capitalizing on value creation opportunities, and building the most robust portfolio possible for our investors. We attract exceptionally talented people and create an atmosphere that rewards initiative, independent thinking, and integrity.
About the Position:
The Accounting & Financial Reporting team plays a critical role in the financial reporting of Equiton Group financial statements, the development and implementation of accounting and financial policy guidelines, and the support of investment initiatives and structures.
Reporting to the Divisional Controller, Properties, the Property Accountant will assist with the accounting, reporting and day to day operations of Equiton’s properties under management.
This position will collaborate with various teams and work closely with Acquisitions and Development, Property Management, Legal, and Accounting to ensure we apply best practices and methodologies in accounting and financial reporting.
The successful candidate must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should possess solid knowledge of full cycle accounting, financial reporting with exposure to IFRS and have experience with Yardi.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and review monthly property packages and forecasts for accuracy, consistency, and completeness – includes preparing detail variance analyses of balance sheet, revenue and expense accounts
- Process accruals of POs, utilities, contract and non-contract expenses
- Ensure accounting policies and procedures are followed
- Prepare month-end journal entries, accruals, realty taxes, management fee calculations, etc.
- Calculate properties ratios and KPIs
- Prepare monthly rent billings and electronic pre-authorized rent payment transfers, analyze outstanding arrears reports
- Reconcile multiple properties bank accounts, maintain the G/L and working paper files for all properties, prepare management accounts and working papers files
- Book journal entries required to reflect the monthly activity such as expenses and payables as well as revenues and receivables
- Help with the preparation of annual budgets for properties by preparing supporting schedules, variance analysis and coordinating with other departments
- Prepare aging for Accounts payable and receivable and calculate allowance for doubtful accounts
- Interpret business results to put them into the appropriate context for others to act upon
- Assist in the preparation of monthly Financial Statements
- Assist in the preparation of annual audit working papers and liaise with external auditors
- Review and generate monthly billings
- Prepare HST remittance for each property
- Exercise the highest level of discretion regarding release of very confidential information
- Ad hoc responsibilities as required
Required Business Skills:
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) with the ability to articulate ideas and concepts clearly and concisely
- Strong collaboration and customer service – approachable and supportive of internal and external customers and take pride in your work, while striving for success
- Goal and results-oriented – reliable and can be counted on to meet and exceed goals, and steadfastly move self and others towards results – advocate of change, generator of new and improved ideas, creative problem-solving and take initiative
- Analytical and forward-thinking – tackle problems by using a logical, systematic and sequential approach, anticipating problems and contingency plans
Education and Experience:
- CPA designation
- 3-5 years related experience in a real estate or property management environment
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting requirements, budget planning, forecasting and GAAP
- Yardi Voyager experience preferred but not required
- Basic knowledge of legal documentation
- Strong knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We are an equal opportunity employer that values a culture that reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background and experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know, so that we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted.